Sunday, September 6, 2009

On new friends and faith

::new friends::
I've gotten the PRIVILEGE to lead with Younglife at CU. College freshmen are unique in that they're so excited to start fresh and to explore who they really are. They ask questions. They're willing to hear answers. They want to hang out at a coffee shop. They're adventurous. They're excited about their new surroundings. It's a special time.

Meet my new friends Anna and Grace. Anna is from the DC area and Grace is from LA. Two different sides of the country and already they've become great friends. Last weekend, Marty and I gave them a ride from CU to the Boulder Res. I knew we'd be fast friends. On Friday, my friend Cynthia (another Beyond leader from Chicago) and I went to a beautiful tea house in Boulder with Grace and Anna. We sat and talked while drinking chai and enjoying new friendships.

I'm excited about my friendship with Anna, Grace, and Cynthia. We get along really well and are always thinking of fun things to do. I'm all for showing the out-of-towners around my state!

waterskiing... anna, grace and me

anna, cynthia, me and grace
at the
dushanbe tea house

I'm playing at Flatirons this weekend. So fun! I showed up to rehearsal yesterday to a great birthday cake from one of the vocalists... Thanks, Sonja!

what a fun cake! tasty, too...
::faith::
Playing weekends at Flatirons is such a gift. It's a wonderful way for me to get involved and to use the gifts God has given me. Plus, it's a stinkin' blast! The series is "House of Cards" and Jim (our pastor) is talking about faith and how if we lean our faith on anything other than Jesus and the "sweet swap", it'll collapse. It's a challenging thing to think about what I put my faith
in. It's so true... if it's not Jesus, it's a matter of time before I'm let down.

Hebrews 12 : 2-3... "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Sometimes it's tempting to only look at what is in front of me. It's when I look to Jesus - fix my eyes on Him - and realize just what He did for me on the cross 2,000 years ago that I'm able to gain perspective and to trust Him.

The last song we play each service says it all so well...

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' Name

When darkness seems to hide His face
I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood
When all around my soul gives way
He then is all my Hope and Stay

When He shall come with trumpet sound
Oh may I then in Him be found
Dressed in His righteousness alone
Faultless to stand before the throne

Oh Christ the solid Rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand...

That's faith.

No comments: