Friday, December 18, 2009

Day five: Remember

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. I love thinking about what Christmas was like when I was a child...

I remember the "village" my mom would set up in the dining room. I'd play with the tiny people and make up stories about their tiny lives. I set that very village up just the other day so that my nieces can see the tiny people the same way I saw them years ago.

I remember decorating the tree and placing the star on top as the very last thing... with my dad's help, of course! Like any sneaky kid, I'd hunt around the tree and shake my gifts while trying to guess what I'd be getting.

I remember looking forward to Christmas at Oma's (I still look forward to that!). One year, she gave me a beautiful snow globe, but I dropped it on the tile floor, shattering it and sending glittery water everywhere. I was devastated. But Oma, the wonder woman that she is, had a spare one in her gift closet.

I remember baking cookies with my cousins. The tiny, edible silver balls were my favorite decorations to put on the gingerbread men and sugar cookie trees.

I remember playing the angel in the Christmas pagant at church. One year, I got to be a shepherd... I wore my mom's pink bathrobe and carried a big staff. I'm sure I looked like a genuine shepherd.

What are your Christmas memories?

No comments: