Sunday, August 9, 2009

Story time...

I posted about the Lessmann family the other day. Now I'm going to tell you just why I'm so fond of them... especially one of them.

Meet Marty Lessmann. High school Math teacher. Bass in the church choir. Baseball & golf coach. Expert fly fisherman. Nature lover. Captain of this summer's sailboat down in the Caribbean. 25 years old. Youngest of four. Resident of St. Louis, Missouri. Nicknamed "Moose" by everyone around him. Praises God often. Great, great guy.


Marty and I met last summer at Camp Timberline, where we both worked as counselors. A friendship quickly grew, but things happened that caused us to not make much contact for a year. Fast forward to July 2009. I was online and saw that Marty was too, so I said "hello!" He told me he'd be in Colorado that next week and asked if I'd want to get together. We ate ice cream and talked about the past year, reminisced, and shared stories of exciting things coming up.

Over the course of the ten days that Marty was in town, we got to see each other a bunch of times: at church (where after meeting Marty, my Uncle Steve whispered in my ear, "Ok... I approve"), while I watched Bjorn one day, at his brother & sister in law's house, and during a nice drive in the mountains. The more and more we hung out, the more and more we started thinking, "hmmm... what's this I'm feeling here?"

After driving up into the mountains, we sat outside of the Best Western hotel while drinking chai tea and coffee (Mart wasn't really drinking his, he was more so spilling it on his white polo shirt). It was on that bench that we were really able to talk about what was on our hearts and confess to each other that we were way interested in getting to know the other person. No pressure, no agenda, no rushing, just experiencing who that person is.

Marty then left for Michigan and Indiana for a week for his friend's bachelor weekend and wedding. The week that he was gone was a great time for us to pray, think, talk, and wonder what could be next. I just remember thinking about how excited I was to see him again -- he'd return to Colorado after the wedding to go backpacking with his dad, whom he calls "Pops". It was also good to know that he was surrounded by people who love him so much and to hear him tell story after story of conversations with those people.

This is going to be a long post. Bear with me.

After he returned to Colorado for round two, Marty and I got to see each other again. Paul (Marty's best friend) and his wife Kara needed a ride to the airport, so we drove them to Terminal West -- and laughed the whole way there. On the drive back, M and I were able to talk about the past week and to share our fears, but also our excitement. We agreed that love is a risk... one we're both willing to take. He made me blush when he slyly asked to hold my hand. After getting to his sister's house, hanging out with the family, and walking his sister's dog, we sat at a little park until late late at night... sharing, talking, laughing, praying, and realizing God's hand in all of it.

Marty and Pops then ventured out into the mountains and to the Continental Divide for a few days. He had told me "look at the moon and know that I'm looking at it, too"... as corny as I thought it was, I found myself (and still find myself) glancing at the sky thinking of this man I'd met a year ago. After a few days of backpacking, Marty returned and I picked him up at a nearby Panda Express (don't ask why, that's just where Pops dropped him off). We got to finally spend the afternoon together and enjoy how comfortable it was. We ate macaroni and cheese for lunch, looked at pictures on my computer, watched Marley and Me and shopped for some new school clothes for Mr. Lessmann. We ended the day by spending time with his family and eating yummy halibut, steak, parmesan risotto, brocolli slaw (from Costco -- good stuff!) and fruit. I love sitting around the dinner table with the Lessmanns!


The next day, Thursday, was our last together before Marty had to return to St. Louis to get ready for his students and the school year. We knew it would be a bummer to say goodbye, but we also know we'd be seeing each other soon. We ventured down to Pearl Street to go to happy hour at West End tavern. That was when we both really started to feel like a couple. We cooked dinner at my house, enjoyed a good bottle of wine, listened to music, and simply enjoyed time together.

So, you may ask.... who really is this Marty Lessmann to you, Annette Versluys? Marty is my man. My main squeeze. My boyfriend. And that's fun! The last three weeks have been completely unexpected. We agree that we would have NEVER expected to be reunited and to start dating. Sure, it's long distance. But I told him last night "those 843 miles are 843 reasons to praise God for what He's doing in our lives." Plus it helps that we've both booked plane tickets to see each other... he's coming out here again at the end of the month and I'm headed to the 'Lou on September 17. Like I said before, it's a risk... that we're willing to take!

People, I'll tell you... it's easy. Natural. Fun! I don't have to strive when I'm around him and I don't have to be anyone but me. The huge amount of grace that Marty extends is inspiring. It's obvious that he trusts God and recognizes Christ in his life and mine. He points me toward the Cross. But along with that, he's real. Authentic. He does little things that impress me in huge ways. I appreciate him even more this year than I did last. The past year has been one of growth and recognizing my need for the Lord, and it's so good to know that this man is going to always encourage me as I walk with Jesus and try to live life the way He intended.

::thank you, self-timer for these fun shots::



No comments: