Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The things I've learned

I'm sitting here in my apartment thinking about the things I've learned in the past week while living in St. Louis. It was weird to put my clothes into a dresser instead of taking them out of a dresser.

I've learned persistence. I was so naive in thinking that it wouldn't take long to get a job. I applied at a few school districts and four Starbucks, only to be told "we don't need anyone right now" each time. So now I've everywhere from REI to Gap (3 Gaps, actually) to a little cupcake bakery down the street. Something will pop up... hopefully...

I've learned that even if the sky is gray, blue skies will come again one day. From the time we drove into the fog in Kansas to when we played golf on Sunday, we didn't see the sun... the fog just sat over St. Louis. But more than physical fog, last week I felt an emotional fog... not only did I miss Colorado and all the people I love there, but the move out east proved to be a bigger transition than I was expecting. After some time with Jesus on Sunday morning, a joyful afternoon on the golf course following church (it was fahhhreezing), and a great conversation with Marty that night, my spirits were lifted and I gained perspective on life in St. Lou.

I've learned that 9.5 times out of 10 the noises outside of my room aren't a creeper in my apartment... they're just coming from next door. Ohhh, apartment life. This is my first time living in an apartment... the walls are paper thin, the heat can't decide what to do, the shower will remain unmentioned, but it's home. Marty was so gracious in helping me make this place feel homey for the next four months. On Saturday, we found a thrift store where we got a food storage cabinet for $6 and barn stars for $1. I painted 5 red tulips on a white canvas. I have frames but no pictures to fill them and a lamp without a shade. But other than that, I'm settled.

I've learned that being able to date my boyfriend like any normal couple would do has made everything worth it. Last night was the first time Marty came over after work to hang out, make dinner, and spend some time together (I stayed at his parents' house for the first week before we had the chance to move me in to my place). And we'll try it out again tonight... dating like a real couple... who live 15 minutes apart. How great is that??

No comments: